JCS has a two-tiered level of governance designed to promote maximum participation by all stakeholders, especially parents.
Board of Directors
The JCS-Inc. family of schools is governed by a shared Board of Directors whose major roles and responsibilities include establishing and approving all major educational and operational policies, approving all major contracts, approving the schools’ annual budgets, overseeing the schools’ fiscal affairs, and selecting and evaluating the Executive Director. The Board meets regularly each month with an agenda for the central office and then a subsequent agenda for each individual school. The Board of Directors ranges from three to seven directors and includes a complement of parents, and community members.
Board of Directors Meetings
All meetings of the Board of Directors take place monthly, the second Friday of the month (times vary), and are typically held at JCS locations in Riverside and San Diego Counties. Notices, agendas, and minutes of meetings are recorded and retained in JCS files. These records are accessible for public and JUSD review below.
You can join the Board Meeting virtually by computer, tablet or phone by using Zoom.
Members of the public may address the Board at regular meetings on agenda or non-agenda items that are within the subject-matter jurisdiction of the Board, and at special meetings on agenda items only. Speakers may be called in the order that requests are received, or grouped by subject area. We ask that comments are limited to three (3) minutes per speaker with no more than 15 minutes per single topic so that as many people as possible may be heard. Extended time will be given for speakers who require translation. By law, the Board is allowed to take action only on items on the agenda. The Board may, at its discretion, refer a matter to school staff or calendar the issue for discussion at a future Board meeting.
Until further notice, per Executive Order N-29-20 from Gov. Newsom, the Julian Charter School Governing Board meetings will be conducted via a virtual environment using Zoom. In the interest of reducing the spread of COVID-19, no in-person public participation is currently allowed. Members of the public can participate in the “Public Comment” portion of Julian Charter School, Inc. meetings by providing live or written comments as detailed below.
- Oral comments will be heard by the board first;
- Written comments will be heard second, time permitting. All written comments should be submitted to the board prior to the board meeting and will be recorded in the minutes. Written comments should be submitted to Stacy De Anda at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon the day prior to the board meeting.
- Requests for any special accommodation that may be required should be submitted to Stacy De Anda at email@example.com by noon the day prior to the board meeting
Recent Meetings, Documents, and Board Policies
School Site Councils
The School Site Council is the school’s stakeholder group consisting of teachers, parents, school administrators, and students that work together to develop, review and evaluate school improvement programs and school budgets for each JCS school. The members of the council are generally elected by their peers. Each JCS school has its own School Site Council and their job consists of:
- Measuring the effectiveness of improvement strategies at the school.
- Reaffirming or revising school goals.
- Revising improvement strategies and expenditures.
- Providing recommendations to the governing board on behalf of the school.
School Site Councils meet quarterly, in early November, February and May.