Academic Counseling Resources

Academic Counseling Resources & FAQ

The Academic Counseling Team empowers students with the information, tools, and support needed to meet their academic, career, and college goals.

Academic Counseling Resources

Financial Aid

In order to receive to receive Federal or State Financial aid (Pell Grant, FSEOG, Cal Grant, Federal Work Study, and Student Loans) career programs must be declared an eligible program of study with the Admissions Office. To apply for Federal and State aid (grants and loans) go to

Eligible programs are:

  • Associate of Arts (AA)
  • Associate of Science (AS)
  • Certificate of Achievement (CA) if the program can lead towards Gainful Employment (note: refer to Palomar College for examples).

A paper copy of the application will be provided to students/parents/guardians upon request. More FAFSA resources:

Frequently Asked Questions

It is a code issued by the College Board. It identifies your school. It matches you with the school you attend. This code will be used for the PSAT, the SAT, and other such tests.

  • Julian Charter School (aka JCS Live) 052929
  • JCS Manzanita: 052919
  • JCS Mt Oaks: 059430
  • JCS Pine Hills: 052720
  • JCS Pine Valley: 052800
If your school does not accept electronic transcript please contact us.

  • English and Writing: 4 years (40 credits) Writing (5 credits) or proficiency
  • Mathematics: 3 years (30 credits) must complete Math IB
  • Science: 2 years (20 credits) one-year life/one-year physical science
  • Social Science: 3 years (30 credits)
  • Foreign language/the arts: 2 years (20 credits)
  • Health: 1 Semester (5 credits)
  • Life Skills: 1 Semester (5 credits)

Electives: 45 Credits (in addition to Writing) 5 credits in electives or additional core classes are required to fulfill the 220 credit graduation requirement

High school students may check their grades at any time on Canvas. Students will also receive semester report cards. Once students have been enrolled in JCS for one full high school semester they may request an unofficial transcript to be sent to their home through Parchment. It is highly recommended to college and university applicants that they have a copy of their transcript on hand while completing applications. Accuracy is paramount. I would go here first. You have to sign-up, but you can search by majors and other criteria that are important to you. This may be useful if you are not sure what you may want to major in and you would like to explore. To log in, use your College Board account that you signed in with to get your PSAT scores or to sign-up for the SAT. Big Future covers the whole country and both private and public colleges and universities. This site has private and public universities. You can search by major, by degree and much more on this site. This site is particularly useful for public universities in California and can tell you which California universities have which majors. This is a commercial site, but it has reviews of students by students of what it is like to go there. Students discuss what they do for fun on the weekends. They also describe what students wear to class and what campus life is like on the weekend (for example if it is a commuter school). This site can help you get a sense of if you would fit in there if you were to attend. Students also upload their own photos.

UC Majors

The list below tells you which UC Campuses have which Majors. If you apply to a UC with colleges within the university it is also important to research the colleges within that campus (for example, UCSD & UCSC). The colleges within the university help to give a smaller learning community. They determine where your housing is and other factors. And in the case of UCSD, your General Education Requirements. A great site to look up data for colleges and universities you have in mind. It can help you and your family find:
  • The graduation rate
  • The freshmen retention rate (how many freshmen come back for sophomore year)
  • The average indebtedness of graduates
  • If there is job placement
  • The percent of financial need met
  • The mid-range GPA for admitted freshmen
  • The mid-range SAT and ACT scores for admitted freshmen
  • Graduates offered full-time employment within six months
  • The average salary of students graduating from this school
  • The most popular majors at this school                                   
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Latest Numbers Occupational Outlook Handbook

Students of JCS are required to obtain a work permit if they are under 18 years of age, and they have secured paid employment. The work permit is required by CA Education Code and is enforced by the CA State Labor Department

Want to know more?

It is awarded in increments of 5 credits. There are very few exceptions. See the course catalog for the few electives that are 2.5 credits. Students must stay through final exams (for the classes that have final exams, such as core classes and UC/CSU approved electives) in order to earn any credit. Should students transfer schools prior to final examinations (or prior o the end of the semester) they will receive exit grades to take to their new school

Each semester class is awarded 5 credits, if passed (D or better). Each semester is a final grade. To stay on track to graduate students should be earning at least 30 credits per semester.

All high school grades count. In fact at JCS students will not move to the next grade unless they have enough credits. Furthermore, even though a “D” grade will “count” as passing for graduation purposes it is considered a failing grade by colleges and universities. Students need to repeat courses they earned a “D” grade –including in the 9th grade. The University of California will not admit students who have earned a “D” grade in any subject in high school in any course including non a-g coursework. Please meet with your counselor for more details. Many private colleges and universities consider 9th grade grades, as to out-of-state public universities.

These are the core courses that satisfy the admission requirements for our public universities. If a course has not been submitted and approved it will not satisfy admission requirements to our state universities. These must be rigorous courses. The courses on your transcript that meet this requirement are denoted with an a-g symbol.

If you are eligible based on your family’s income your school counselor can provide you with one. These are available to seniors for the SAT/ACT for one sitting of the exam. They are also available to juniors for the exam. And they are available for the PSAT offered at school for 11th grade students. Please see your counselor far enough in advance, as they cannot be used for late registration.

Earth and Space/Chem./Physics all meet the lab “D” physical science requirement for UC or CSU. And Biology and Anatomy/Physiology both meet the lab “D” requirement in the life science are for both UC and CSU. However, Earth Science can be taken as the physical science requirement for CSU (it is from the “g” category) but not for UC?

No, they do not. They both meet the “g” requirement as social science electives.

Email is probably the best, first way. We all have the same email address pattern which is our first initial followed by our last name